Old September 2nd 09, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default FCC license for Midland GXT1000VP4?

Smed wrote:
Some of my friends and I are planning a 110 mile canoe trip in Montana
next year. I would like to bring along a pair of walkie talkies that
are somewhat water proof, can accept AA batteries, have decent range,
and have NOAA in case the weather takes a turn. I've been doing
research and found the Midland GXT1000VP4 walkie talkies fit the bill.

Of all the websites I hit, only one brings up the FCC license subject.
I can't get a direct answer from anyone since everyone is trying to sell
them to me and not worried about what I think after they got my money.

Will I need an FCC license? They say the radios work right out of the
box but some of the channels might be blocked without the license. How
much is the license? Are the unblocked channels over crowded and
worthless?

AFAIK, if you use only the FRS channels, you won't need a license. You
won't get to use the higher power settings, though.

If you want to use high power, you'll need to apply to the FCC for a
GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) license.

See http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html for details on the
application process.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you: you're going to an isolated
area, you'll be talking across water most of the time, and so I think
FRS will be fine.

HTH. YMMV.

Bill, W1AC