Old September 21st 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Vista, Win 7

Ivor Jones wrote:
On 21/09/09 00:33, JB wrote:

wrote in message
Linux and XP are not options.

This computer will need to "triple" as my ham radio machine, home offi

ce
machine, and also developing/debugging new Windows applications.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Dual Boot XP/Vista is doable but it is a whole lot easier to do starti

ng
with XP first. There are tutorials on this. I have often found dual
booting to be a good way to continue using software while finding
compatibility solutions. I realize some of the new hardware has prob

lems
with that.

I dual-boot WinXP and Linux. Don't often run up XP except if I need to
use the occasional bit of software that won't run under Wine.

73 Ivor G6URP

If you go that route, it's easiest to start with XP, install Vista, and
then put Linux in last. Don't forget to plan your disk usage in advance:
XP and Vista can share the same "data" drive, but remember that Linux is
only able to _read_ from NTFS partitions, so you might want to choose
FAT32 for drives that will be shared between Windows and Linux.

HTH.

73,

Bill W1AC
(Filter QRM for direct replies)