Old December 13th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default It pays to read ALL the contest rules before starting out ...

I thought I'd give the 10M contest a try this year, single op, low
power, CW only.

I did a quick look a the rules
(http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2009/10-meters.html), got as far as

3.1.2. Low Power.
3.1.2.1. Mixed Mode (Phone and CW).
3.1.2.2. Phone only.
3.1.2.3. CW only.

and was on my way.

Didn't see anything about "assisted", so without really thinking about
it, I left "Band Master" (a GUI DX cluster front end) running when I
started the contest.

During one of the many lulls in the contest, I read the rest of the
rules and found

3.2. Multioperator, Single Transmitter, mixed mode (only).
3.2.1. Includes single operators using packet or spotting assistance.

So, I was suddenly stuck in the Multi-op, mixed mode category.

Oh well. That's a mistake I won't make again.

Besides, the DX cluster info wasn't any sort of an "assist" for me. It
was more in the line of mocking me with all the stations I couldn't even
hear :-(

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN