Old January 5th 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael J. Coslo Michael J. Coslo is offline

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

On Jan 4, 7:15 pm, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

What's next? Secret handshakes and weird rituals?

I read the bylaws and they do seem to be a pretty exclusive group.

What I see as the flaw in their system is that they state that they
want to create a renaissance in CW. Okay, that's a worthy goal. I do
question how they are going about it.

But setting the bar at 25 wpm is not going to produce that goal. And
reading through their web pages, it is not difficult to derive a
conclusion that they are working at a atmosphere of exclusivity.
Exclusivity and renaissance are pretty much at odds. Plus there is the
strange part in the FAQ about one's sponsors possibly making a
applicant take a test. That's just inconsistent and odd, and smacks of
sub-groups, and people who are more equal than others.

That being said, if a person likes that sort of thing, that's just
fine by me.

But for myself, I'm happy to be member number 891 in the Second Class
Operator's Club.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -