Old January 6th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

wrote:

ISTM that the idea for CWOps is to have a club focused on those with a
somewhat-higher level of skill in Morse Code, who actually use the mode
on the air regularly. The requirement for QSOs with members looks to me
as a way of insuring a personal connection between members.

So I think there's room for a club like CWOps, too. It will be
interesting to see how membership grows.

I gave up long ago trying to predict what motivates ham radio operators.
Personally, this whole idea of having to be nominated by current
members turns me off, but I know that I am far from typical in that
regard. If the process of obtaining membership in this club actually
results in increased cw activity, more power to them. If it ends up
being a method for people to pat each other on the back without ever
keying a transmitter, then it's completely worthless.

Personally, I wish that they had instituted a tiered membership for
people who are learning cw. One way to increase cw activity is to
motivate trained operators to get on the air, but another way is to
motivate new hams to learn and use cw. If being a member of an
exclusive club is a strong motivator for hams, then recognize the
newcomers and reward them for increasing their proficiency.

73, Steve KB9X