Old January 7th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

On Jan 6, 12:17 pm, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:

Now that element 2 is history, how do we promote the
mode?

Ten Ways:

1) Use Morse Code on the air. For ragchewing, DXing, contesting,
traffic handling, QRP, QRO, QRS, QRQ, whatever floats your boat. If
your favorite band is crowded, try another and/or get a sharper filter.
If you contest, even a little, send in your logs, photos, soapbox
comments, etc. Our presence on the air is essential.

2) Work on your Morse Code skills. Got a Code Proficency certificate?

But Morse Code skill is not just speed. Can you send and receive a
message in standard form? Can you do it faster than someone on 'phone?
Can you do both "head copy" and write it down? How about copying on a
mill? Ragchewing? Contesting? Being able to have a QSO at slow as well
as fast speeds? All are forms of proficiency.

3) Find a local club that does Field Day and go out with them,
particularly if they have little or no Morse Code activity on FD now.
Help with their Morse Code efforts however you can - operating,
logging, setting up, tearing down, etc. FD is one way to actively
demonstrate 21st Century Morse Code *use*. Talking to people about
Morse isn't nearly so effective as showing them.

4) Set up a Morse Code demo at a local hamfest/club meeting/air show/
town fair/middle school etc. Not as some sort of nostalgia thing but as
a demonstration that Morse Code is alive and in use today. Have
handouts and audience-particiaption if possible.

5) Conduct Morse Code training - on the air, in person, over the 'net,
whatever. Help anybody who wants to learn. Could be as simple as giving
them some code software, tapes or CDs, or as involved as a formal
course at a local community center.

6) Elmer anybody who wants help - even if they're not interested in
Morse Code at all. Your help and example may inspire them.

7) Write articles for QST/CQ/Worldradio/K9YA Telegraph/Electric Radio/
your local hamclub newsletter etc. Not about the code *test* nor about
Morse Code history, the past, etc., but about how to use Morse Code
*today*, and how you are using it. How about an article on what rigs
are best for Morse Code use, and why? Or about the differences between
a bug, single-lever keyer, iambic A and iambic B? Your FD experiences
with Morse Code? (QST, June, 1994) Yes, you may be turned down by the
first mag you submit it to - but keep submitting.

8) Get involved in NTS, QMN, ARES, whatever, and use Morse Code there.
The main reason so much emergency/public service stuff is done on voice
is because they don't have the people - skilled operators - to
use any other mode.

9) Join FISTS & SKCC and any other group that supports Morse. Give out
numbers to those who ask for them even if you're not a contester/award
collector.

10) Use the online environment to its fullest. The online training idea
is excellent. Another is to post Morse-Code-centric videos on YouTube
(one fellow did it with guitar lessons, why not Morse Code
lessons?).

"The test" is long gone and FCC won't bring it back. FCC won't preserve
our standards and values - we have to do it.

And our attitude is a key part of that (pun intended). If we're seen as
a bunch of old grumpy gus types, not many will want to join us. But if
we present ourselves as a fun-loving, welcoming, young-at-heart-and-
mind,
helpful group with useful skills, people will want to join us.

IMHO

73 de Jim, N2EY