Old January 7th 10, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael J. Coslo Michael J. Coslo is offline

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

On Jan 6, 5:28 pm, Bill Horne wrote:
On 1/6/2010 12:16 PM, Michael J. Coslo wrote: On Jan 6, 8:13 am, Jeff Da

wrote:

Morse has transitioned from being the lingua franca of amateur radio t

o a
exclusive club.

And folks marvel at its decline...

And that worries me.

(snip)

I would propose that a web based method of learning OOK Morse might
just do the trick. People have a tendency to be pretty fearful of
learning on the radio, the person on the other end might not be
terribly patient, and there are some people who just get bored
listening to slow Morse.

This system would give feedback on the copy and sending, practice
sessions, and testing.

Such a system already exists, and it's in use by members of the Morse
Telegraph Club, and others who use American Morse. I suggest you contact
Les Kerr, N7RZ, or check the "MorseKOB" website athttp://home.comcast.net

/~morsekob/for more information.

Hi Bill, I looked at the site, and unless I'm missing something, it
isn't what I was proposing. That looks pretty much like the standard
Morse code learning program. I want a place where people can talk to
each other, to bootstrap themselves to competency, as well as having
the standard learning tools. Hang out with their peers for a while.
Morse needs a nursery system, and it might just be easier to get them
involved and up to a speed where they don't make proficient Ops fall
asleep.

Another part is that it isn't just copying Morse that is an issue. The
abbreviations that Morse Ops use can be a little confusing. They know
what they mean, but so many use slightly different ones that a new guy
can get really confused. I remember when I first started listening to
live CW, I could copy the ARRL practice code okay, but listening to
Actual QSO's, I'd copy it down, and think "this has to be wrong, And
as a student of Morse who tends to "fly behind the plane", I'd get
stuck. So it would be good to slowly work the abbreviations in after a
while.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -