Old January 7th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] is offline

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

wrote:
On Jan 7, 11:16 am, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
wrote:

"The test" is long gone and FCC won't bring it back. FCC won't preser

ve
our standards and values - we have to do it.

OK, you lost me here. Are these the same standards and values that
were propagated by the code tested licensees on the upper phone
portions on HF?

Now you lost me!

If you're referring to the few folks who make some parts of the 'phone
bands rather nasty, consider the following:

1) Those folks aren't using Morse Code when they behave badly on the
air

2) Those folks also passed written exams that included lots of
questions about the rules & regs

Yes, but the whole argument was "Morse code makes you a better person"
Apparently not in their case.

Suppose that in 1980 someone had developed a wonderful new way to learn

Morse Code that would take a typical person from 0 to 25 wpm in 1 hour,

simply by watching a videotape.

Do you think the code tests would still have been an issue?

I'm certain that they would. All those that passed via that method of
learning would be scorned as "Drive-thru" Licensees. The standard
comments built on the "But 'real hams'" had to...." mindset.

Entry level at the time meant simple equipment. Getting a CW transmitt

er
on the air was the first step. "How can I communicate with a hand key?

"
With Morse code of course. Plugging a microphone into the key jack won

't
work.

Not sure which time you're referring to. Please elaborate.

[ comment about the relevancy to this discussion is at the bottom. ]

Prior to the Novice license, the easiest way to get on the air with a
limited budget and skill set was to make a simple CW transmitter. Of
course, to be able to use it, you're going to have to be able to send
and receive Morse code, unless the only QSL cards you want to receive
are from OO's and / or the FCC.

Yes, you could get your ticket, throw your key away and buy phone stuff
but it was still easier to just get on the air with Morse code.

The Novice license was introduced as a way to get on the air with a
limited skill set, and spend time ON THE AIR to give you the incentive
to upgrade your skills with the promise of frequency agility and phone
operation when you upgraded.

And as Jeff Davis said, Morse Code was the lingua franca of
communications back in the early days.

And was used by other radio services well into the 1990s. A lot depends

on what you consider "the early days".

I know, and the FAA still uses CW to ID beacons. But the write things
like ".-.. .- -..-" on the maps right next to LAX rather than force
pilots to learn Morse code.

And if I remember right, joining the military (as an example) didn't
require you to learn code to use a rifle. If you wanted to learn code
and get a different job, that was up to you.

I just can't see inter agency communications between police, fire,
medical and the Red Cross being handled by some guy wearing a
celluloid eye shade, sleeve garters and hunched over a code key. *

Why not?

Because human life and safety is _dependent_ on quick and accurate
communications. By ANYONE.

The FBI had their own HF nets using Morse Code. The military and
maritime folks used for many decades.

The main reason other services stopped using Morse Code was that they
didn't want to pay skilled operators. It was cheaper for them to buy
more-complex equipment.

The key word here is "had". The additional expenses in the design and
deployment of the new equipment is there to remove the possibility of
human error and make things simple enough for anyone to operate.

But Amateur Radio is all about *operating*.

Operating is not all of it. Nor is operating via a specific mode.
If anything, it is all about communication and having the skill
set (both technical and operational) required to communicate in
the mode with which you are granted the right to use.

Or what that has to do with the discussion.

My comments at the beginning of this discussion were specific to my
opinion that the requirements for joining the CWops club were
restrictive and elitist. With a tongue in cheek reference to the
Masonic Lodge with their secret handshakes and rituals along with
having to be vetted by existing members.

However, as I suspected, the discussion has drifted into the standard
"People that haven't had to learn code like *I* did, or "make the
effort" (as it is sometimes referred to) are somehow less than real
hams."

People should use Morse code as a mode of communicating because it is
a skill and one they should be proud of. NOT because it somehow makes
others less than them. The same could be said of those who chose to
use SSB, AM, PSK, RTTY, FM, EME, packet radio and so forth. But, oddly
you don't hear them talking down to everyone else that do not share
their enthusiasm for their preferred mode of communication.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com