Old January 9th 10, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

On Jan 7, 11:17�am, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:17 pm, wrote:

I will note that the potential tests the pledge
might have to take, depending on the will of their sponsors is just
odd. There should be a competency test, or their shouldn't be.

I don't think it's odd, but that's just me. If somebody wants to know
my Morse Code skills, I can tell them. If that's not enough, I can
show them.

Almost *any* nontrivial requirement is bound to be labeled a "hazing
ritual", "cronyism", "luddite" or other derogatory term by somebody.

Kind of. I think a large part of the discussion, at least for me, is
the idea that this club furthers the use of Morse code. They state it
as one of their purposes. I don't think that their tactic will work.

Only way to know is to try.

I'd even go so far as to state that I don't really care if they are an
exclusive club. That's no problem. There is a need for people of a
like mind to congregate. But if a club is one thing while purporting
to be another, I'm inclined to remark about it.

Here's an analogy:

I just came in from a morning run. Not to far and not too fast but
definitely running. It's in the twenties here but the sun is out, the
roads are clear of yesterday's snow and the wind isn't too bad. What we
used to call "sweater weather" in western New York State.

There are all sorts of running/jogging clubs and organizations today,
with a wide range of membership requirements. Some are mostly social,
some are general purpose, some focus on competition, some are strictly
about track, cross-country, road racing, etc. All are involved in some
way in promoting running in various forms.

Suppose a club were to form which focused on long distance running,
defined as those who routinely do runs longer than 13.1 miles (half-
marathon and up). Maybe they toss in requirements of having completed
at least one TAC-certified marathon "or equivalent".

Obviously a lot of people who run couldn't join unless they seriously
upped their distance. The membership would be relatively small, but
focused on a specific kind of running.

Seems to me that such a club could and would promote running,
particularly long-distance running. I don't see how that would be a
bad thing.

The new Morse Code club described is similar, IMHO.

---

One thing I have observed among amateurs actually *using* Morse Code is
the friendship and comaraderie (sp?) and general welcoming. I don't
hear the put-downs and such that are claimed by others - not on the
air, anyway. Young or old, newcomer or OT, fast or slow, QRP or high
power, it doesn't make any difference.

The one thing that *does* make a difference among the Morse-Code-using
ops I encounter is consideration and operating skill. Meaning things
like not calling the DX on his frequency when he's working split, not
sending faster than you can receive, having a decent quality signal,
etc. An operator cannot buy those things.

That's one of the things that hooked me on Morse Code more than 42
years ago, and keeps me coming back.

73 de Jim, N2EY

FISTS 4360
SKCC 307