Old January 20th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] is offline

Default RTTY questions

Michael J. Coslo wrote:
It's interesting that you don't hear much, Jeff. In the contesting
world a lot of people get angry at the rtty'ers for taking up a
lot of bandwidth.

Some contesters would complain that you're wasting air that they
should be breathing.

Anyhow, I use RTTY, but do it via computer. I usually use 200 shift.

Which was one of my original questions.

Amateur RTTY back in the beginning used 850 Hz shift and was finally
brought down to 170 Hz shift as equipment improved enough to be able
to stay tuned.

The use of 200 Hz shift was a result of using a Bell Modem standard
for early data transmissions over the phone lines in the "new" all
mode terminal units. This was a compromise to incorporate RTTY into
the units, rather than a terminal unit specifically designed for
RTTY operation.

The mode is okay, but I have one small complaint, which actually
extends to other modes. T mny abrtns!

This is a pet peeve of mine. This is a written medium. Please
use English, and make an attempt at proper spelling, grammar
and punctuation.

I can understand abbreviations being used in a slower mode.
(And no, I'm NOT bashing Morse code) Especially in traffic
handling situation with a lot of repetitious messages being
sent.

Although, I will make exceptions for the few people I've had
a QSO with on RTTY that typed painfully slow. ;-)

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com