Old January 22nd 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Howard Lester[_2_] Howard Lester[_2_] is offline

Default operating mode?

"Beachbum" wrote

At the risk of exposing my newbness...

I am considering a tech license and note references to "permission" levels
for various bands, as well as indications of certain operating modes for
particular freqs/bands (I have not bought a manual yet, still trying to
determine what level of total investment will be necessary for my desired
use). Based on admittedly cursory review thusfar, it appears voice comms
have limited availability for a tech ticket. IF that is the case, my
primary interest is in emergency voice comms during regional events...will
I need to upgrade to a general license for effective use?

If your desire is to communicate locally for Emergency Services, you would
normally operate on VHF and/or UHF frequencies, which are all open to the
Technician license. If you want to communicate further, where VHF/UHF
simplex or repeaters won't go, then you would need to upgrade to General to
be able to operate voice within the HF bands. For example, if you wanted to
participate in the emergency nets for the Haiti earthquake, you must have at
least a General class license.

Howard N7SO