Old January 23rd 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Beachbum Beachbum is offline

Default operating mode?

Bert Hyman wrote:
In Beachbum
wrote:

At the risk of exposing my newbness...

I am considering a tech license and note references to "permission"
levels for various bands, as well as indications of certain operating
modes for particular freqs/bands (I have not bought a manual yet,
still trying to determine what level of total investment will be
necessary for my desired use). Based on admittedly cursory review
thusfar, it appears voice comms have limited availability for a tech
ticket. IF that is the case, my primary interest is in emergency voice
comms during regional events...will I need to upgrade to a general
license for effective use?

Take a look at the chart at

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...ands_color.pdf

which will show you what modes the classes of licensees can use on the
various bands.

I think you'll find that a Technician class license will give you full
permission on all bands 50MHz and up, which is where is where you'll
find almost all local event communications taking place.

OK, Great! And thanks to all who responded.

As I am located about 2/3rds the way up the side of Punchbowl Crater,
my "line of sight" should easily cover most of my operating area in the
Honolulu area, including several mil bases, multiple airports and
seaports, as well as State and County HQ's. If repeaters remain
operational, the rest of the island should be accessible as well, to
some extent. Aside from that, I've had a scanner for over 40 years at
this point, and pick up a lot, but two-way comms would become critical
in a Hurricane or Earthquake scenario.

Now to order the manual and start studying...