Old January 25th 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Antennas and CCRS

On 1/25/2010 2:44 PM, Michael J. Coslo wrote:

That's putting yourself in a bad situation. Remember, the real estate
agent is not your friend. After firing several agents, for reasons
like continually showing me houses outside my price range, (that I
determined, not them) and not disclosing HOA and other important
stuff, I was pretty well convinced of that. They are the sellers
friend, and the more they can get out of you, the better they serve
their customer. If that means allowing the buyer to think that
something is true while it isn't, they are happy to do that.

My wife and I looked at over 100 houses before we selected the one I
live in now. I have *no* HOA, *no* CC&R's, and *no* problem putting up
antennas: I had to fire three agents who hadn't heard me when I told
them what *my* requirements were.

Michael is right: the agent represents the *SELLER*, not the buyer. He
is legally obligated to disclose _some_ things, but professionally
obligated not to disclose anything else that might lower the house's
value. Agents are not your friends.

I remember one occasion, when I was asked to put a deposit on a home I
was considering: the agent looked at the paper, and said, "The deposit
isn't five hundred, Bill, it's five thousand", and I replied, "You're
right, it's not five hundred: it's Five dollars". He tried to stare me
down, and then said "I don't think you're serious about buying this
house, and I won't convey that offer", to which I replied "You'll
convey the offer or I'll have your license on a plate"!

The agent had a counter-offer for me within two hours. You have to
remember that these guys are salesmen, and they get paid to move the
product: the moment you let them dictate to you, you lose.

HTH. FWIW. YMMV.

Bill, W1AC