Old January 27th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Howard Lester[_2_] Howard Lester[_2_] is offline

Default Antennas and CCRS

"Michael J. Coslo" wrote

I had an idea about making a 2 meter HT that had texting ability, as

well as voice. The texting mode would be PSK-31. Note that PSK31
actually does work with FM - it isn't as useful as the SSB version,
but it still works. A kid with a Technician license and his/her
friends of like qualifications would use these things similarly to
cell phones, but it would be their own channels.

The beauty of that is that if the kids are close enough to work simplex, all
that may be required for an antenna is a small indoor one, and certainly a
5w HT isn't powerful enough to get into a neighbor's electronics. I once had
a Ringo AR-2 hanging from a hook in my apartment ceiling.

Howard N7SO