Old January 28th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Antennas and CCRS

wrote:

What I see happening more and more is that deed restrictions and
similar one-sided unchangeable contracts are being used to replace
zoning, nuisance ordinances and building codes. And I think that's a
very bad thing which must be resisted however possible.

Do you have specific ideas on how this can be resisted?

I'm old enough to remember a time when, if you told an American that
people were trying to sell homes where you couldn't put a TV antenna on
the roof, the response would be "That's crazy; they'll never sell!" And
they would have been right. But a little bit here and a little bit
there, and now it's not unusual at all.

American culture has changed a lot during the past few decades. When
did we start seeing the McMansions? The idea of "the perfect house" is
much different now than 30-40 years ago.

The public votes with its wallet. As you point out, if there was
general displeasure with CCRs, houses with CCRs wouldn't sell. I don't
see any evidence that CCRs significantly reduce the sales potential of
the property involved, and their growth suggests that the general public
views them in a positive light.

You may perhaps think my views are pessimistic; I prefer to consider
them realistic. As a tiny minority, hams are unlikely to have any
effect on the trend to attach CCRs to property. That's why I think it's
better to know as much about the system as possible and learn how to
work within it. Yes, it can be difficult to work within it. There are
many things in life that are neither easy nor ideal.

73, Steve KB9X