Old January 28th 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael J. Coslo Michael J. Coslo is offline

Default Antennas and CCRS

On Jan 28, 9:32 am, Steve Bonine wrote:

You may perhaps think my views are pessimistic; I prefer to consider
them realistic. As a tiny minority, hams are unlikely to have any
effect on the trend to attach CCRs to property.

Our part is to point out the inadvertent problem caused by the antenna
restrictions, and to see if we can get legislative action. Whether it
be that proposed antennas be given a review process, or some other
such hoops to jump through, we should be accommodated. And in those
neighborhoods there will be some opposition. There is no doubt that
some people won't like it. Lot's of people don't like antennas because
they've been told they don't IMO. My wife doesn't like antennas, but
she really can't tell me exactly why. In the end it 's some vague
comment about "ugly". Yet to me, an antenna is a pretty cool looking
thing, certainly more attractive than a ceramic yard gnome.

I'm sympathetic to the problems of Hams who live in CCR antenna
restricted 'hoods, even if I think they didn't have to be there in the
first place.

So it's going to be a combination of things:

Work within the legislative system to mitigate antenna restrictions.

Don't live in a neighborhood that has such restrictions in the first
place.

But if you do, you might become an officer in the HOA for a while.
Some times surprising accommodations can be made.

And who knows, there were people who made some publicity like the
fellow who's HOA wouldn't let him put a nice little weather hut for
his kids to stand in while waiting for the school bus. The yard full
of pink flamingos he planted were perfectly "legal" however. The HOA
relented, he put up the hut, and the flamingos went away.. Same with
the fellow they wouldn't allow to put up a flag pole. Often times
there are little "things" you can do. But in both of those examples, I
would not want to live in a neighborhood where some odd aesthetics
make it okay for my children to freeze to death, or make it some sort
of crime to display my country's flag, I mean, those are people I
don't want to be around at all.

-73 de Mike N3LI -