Old February 3rd 10, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Antennas and CCRS

On Feb 1, 6:20�pm, Steve Bonine wrote:
Michael J. Coslo wrote:
On Feb 1, 8:23 am, wrote:
http://www.news-record.com/content/2...come_to_the_ne
ighborhood_see_you_in_court

Oy! That is *exactly* the reason why I will not live in a neighborhood
like that.

With all due respect . . . all neighborhoods are like that.

I don't think so. I've lived in several neighborhoods that weren't and
aren't like that at all.

Yes, there certainly are developments that pride themselves on the
enforcement of their rules, with people out there measuring the height
of your daffodils to be sure they're within the specifications that the
homeowners association has established.

But I've seen petty neighbor squabbles out in the country. �It ha

s a lot
more to do with personality clashes between individuals than it does
with CCRs. �CCRs may make it easier, and they may be a marker tha

t it's
more likely, but it can happen anywhere.

Agreed - it most certainly can, and does, happen in places
withoutCC&Rs.

The thing about CC&Rs is that, IMHO, they make such things more
likelyand easier.

I guess the moral of the story as far as I'm concerned is do your
research, know your neighbors, and communicate with them about your
Hamness. Some times people call me lucky in all this. I think we make
our luck.

You're right. �But luck is there, all the same. �You coul

d have an
unreasonable neighbor who didn't respond to your doing all the right
things. �If that happened, you would be in a world of hurt with v

ery
little recourse.

Depends on the situation. Yes, a bad neighbor can make life miserable
in almost any situation. But CC&Rs can make it easier for the bad
neighbor to do it, and do it *legally*.

I think it's very important for hams to be good neighbors, with or
without CCRs, HOAs, etc. I think part of that is being knowledgeable
about some of the issues.

I've known hams (and others) who loudly expressed the idea that it was
THEIR property and they could whatever they wanted with it. These folks
expressed disdain for building codes, zoning ordinances, etc. Problem
is, even a non-attorney like me knows that it doesn't work that way.
For example, if a neighbor violates building safety codes in such a way
as to create a fire hazard, my property is at risk, and I have a
legitimate interest in getting the codes enforced. Same for things like
flooding. When an amateur disregards such concepts, it makes us look
bad.

73 de Jim, N2EY