Old February 3rd 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Antennas and CCRS

wrote:
I've known hams (and others) who loudly expressed the
idea that it was THEIR property and they could whatever
they wanted with it. These folks expressed disdain for
building codes, zoning ordinances, etc. Problem is, even
a non-attorney like me knows that it doesn't work that
way. For example, if a neighbor violates building safety
codes in such a way as to create a fire hazard, my
property is at risk, and I have a legitimate interest in
getting the codes enforced. Same for things like flooding.
When an amateur disregards such concepts, it makes us look
bad.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Which goes back to what I said originally:
Do we all have to act like having an FCC grant (license)
somehow makes us above the law?

Back when I was living in Culver City, I'd put a pair of
push up masts at opposite ends of the house to string a
multi-band dipole between. About 5' above the crest line
of the house. Just the poles, I hadn't put the dipole up
yet.

My neighbor's wife called in tears, "I can see that pole
from every window of my house."

Later that evening her husband called and threatened me
with all sorts of law suits etc. etc. I suggested that if
his view was ruined he should consider moving to an area
with CC&Rs. Of course, the down side would be their new
neighbors would have their yappy dogs put to sleep.

I didn't hear another word out of him for 6 months.

Although he did show his displeasure by refusing to trim
the ivy on his fence for a whole year. Until the city made
him cut it back.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com