Old February 5th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael J. Coslo Michael J. Coslo is offline

Default Antennas and CCRS

On Jan 30, 5:24 pm, wrote:
On Jan 28, 9:32 am, Steve Bonine wrote:

wrote:
What I see happening more and more is that
deed restrictions and
similar one-sided unchangeable contracts are being
used to replace
zoning, nuisance ordinances and building codes.
And I think that's a
very bad thing which must be resisted however possible.

Do you have specific ideas on how this can be resisted?

One way is education: make people aware of the real long-term
ramifications of CC&Rs, HOAs, etc. Particularly when they take the form
of an unchangeable contract.

Such education takes time but it does make a difference in the longrun.

American culture has changed a lot during
the past few decades. When
did we start seeing the McMansions?

Good question! My guess is the late 1980s.

The idea of "the perfect house" is
much different now than 30-40 years ago.

What would you say has changed? What did it used to be, and what is
it now?

the reason is that people were sold on the idea that:

They aren't making any more real estate.

Square footage is cheap to build, and will appeal to the type of
customer you want looking at your house when you move up to the next
level. After all, you're paying 100K for ht eland, you have to put a
proper house on it.

Oh dear, oh dear, the market is going bonkers, you just have to figure
out how to buy this place before the price goes up again. But once you
buy or build it, the value will just keep going up.

Real estate never loses value, so if you overspend now, you can just
refinance in a couple years. Isn't that worth a couple years of a
tight budget?

That isn't opinion BTW, I heard them all.

snippage

But I think there's more that can be done. Legislation is one
possibility. For example, when asked about extending the OTARD ruling
to include ham radio antennas, the FCC essentially responded that hams
should get Congress to instruct them to do it. IOW FCC won't do it
onits own.

And that's one of the things that I think ARRL does pretty well at.
It's an expensive game, but we gotta do it.

And there's the media. More than one person has been allowed to have
their flagpole or religious display because the media made an issue
of it.

And Hams have to do a good job of working the media. we need to get
the word out, and if we need to ply for sympathy or even get the
public a little worked up for our plight, we gotta do it. And above
all, we have to look the good part. We want avoid looking like the mad
scientist - very hard for me, because I do get excited about this kind
of thing. But I've been on TV and in the papers several times now with
Ham radio activities, so they either like me or I've got entertainment
value! 8^)

-73 de Mike N3LI -