Old March 3rd 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael J. Coslo Michael J. Coslo is offline

Default Tiny antennas from new technology?

On Mar 3, 2:28 pm, KC4UAI wrote:

Does somebody know the maximum efficiency of a 1/4 wave vertical and
how does that compare to 95%? (Even with almost perfect ground
resistance?)

It's right up around there.

Anyhow, if they have managed to make this antenna extremely efficient,
what they must have done is make the RF resistance not become much
lower as the physical size goes down. Some other possibilities are
that they somehow managed to make the Velocity factor really low,
maybe 25 percent.

Seems like once a year or so, some outfit makes some claims like this.
A couple years ago it was a University on the east coast announcing a
antenna that was so efficient that the original one burned up when
they sent a hundred watts through it. I personally think that is
speaking to inefficiency, but I'll note that statement was removed
from the press release.

I'll believe it when I see it.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -