Old April 2nd 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey Angus Jeffrey Angus is offline

Default Straight key speed

On 4/1/2010 7:41 PM, notbob wrote:
I figure one is not truly a ham until one can cw

Out of curiosity, could explain why not?

I was gonna buy a Vibroplex Know Code key, but the reviews
are less than heartening.

This one? http://vibroplex.com/know_code.html

I own the Standard version and I haven't had any issues with
it. What exactly were the faults with this?

He claimed a straight key is not much good for anything over
15 wpm.

Well, yeah, although there are people that can do quite well
with a straight key at more than 20 wpm.

If I want to eventually make 20wpm and faster, would I be
better off with a less expensive straight key in thebeginning
and later investing the money in a quality bug?

My opinion: Learn to send proficiently and accurately with a
hand key first. There's a learning curve for a bug that takes
a bit of getting used to even with an already good fist.

By the way, you can use a bug as a straight key, using just the
"dash" motion. It's called a side swiper at that point.

I guess the bottom line is, do I want to graduate to a bug as
soon as possible and maybe lower my initial goals for a
straight key. IOW, just get on the air?

As I mentioned above, you can start with a bug and use it in the
side swiper mode, but you'll have to force yourself to avoid the
temptation tp try using in the semi-automatic mode until you gain
proficiency at using it as a straight key at lower speeds.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi