Old April 14th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
N2EY N2EY is offline

Default What makes a real ham

On Apr 14, 4:03 pm, John from Detroit wrote:

What makes a real ham, as opposed to something else, is a willingness to
study and learn about the hobby, and to try new and different things.

That's certainly part of it.

I think the "real ham" is distinguished by a set of attitudes and
actions that include what you wrote and a lot more.

For example, there's:

- friendliness to and support of other hams

- high standards of conduct, on and off the air

- setting a good example for both hams and non-hams

- technical and operational know-how

- fairness and true competitive spirit

- being a good neighbor and a good citizen

- respect for Amateur Radio traditions, history, and the contributions
of the past, yet being open to real progress in the present and facing
the challenges of the future.

I think the combination of all those things are what makes "a real
ham".

A person can have lots of willingness to study and learn about the
hobby, and to try new and different things, but if they lack those
other things, I don't think they're "a real ham".

IMHO

73 de Jim, N2EY