Old April 16th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John from Detroit John from Detroit is offline

Default What makes a real ham

N2EY wrote:
On Apr 14, 4:03 pm, John from Detroit wrote:

What makes a real ham, as opposed to something else, is a willingness to
study and learn about the hobby, and to try new and different things.

That's certainly part of it.

I think the "real ham" is distinguished by a set of attitudes and
actions that include what you wrote and a lot more.

For example, there's:

- friendliness to and support of other hams

- high standards of conduct, on and off the air

- setting a good example for both hams and non-hams

- technical and operational know-how

- fairness and true competitive spirit

- being a good neighbor and a good citizen

- respect for Amateur Radio traditions, history, and the contributions
of the past, yet being open to real progress in the present and facing
the challenges of the future.

I think the combination of all those things are what makes "a real
ham".

A person can have lots of willingness to study and learn about the
hobby, and to try new and different things, but if they lack those
other things, I don't think they're "a real ham".

IMHO

73 de Jim, N2EY

Normally I do not do full back quotes but what you typed bears repeating.

I agree,, I kind of lumped a lot of that into the "Willingness to study"
but in another field I have often said that those truly blessed with the
ability have a need to "Pass it on" (Willingness to help)

The technicial ability is a result of the willingness to study

Respect.... Well.. We could discuss that some but yes, that should be
part of it too.

As to being open to real progress.. For many decades we have pushed the
progress forward.. to this day Hams still use better hardware than the
military in many cases... Why.. Because hams designed it, not military
engineers.

Though in fairness... Many of those military engineers are Hams.

My daughter's new beau works (or rather worked) for the Air Force.. In a
manner of speaking he was a pilot.. He flew R/C planes.