Old April 16th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John from Detroit John from Detroit is offline

Default What makes a real ham

N2EY wrote:
On Apr 15, 7:20�pm, John from Detroit wro

te:

Agreed. But there's more to it than studying, A lot of things require
practice in order to do well.

That is what I get for being a Science Major.. I consider "Doing" (LAB)
to be part of the "Studying" (Lecture hall) process. (IN short agreed)

The technicial ability is a result of the willingness to study

Partly - but it also is a result of doing. "Book learning" is great
but it must be matched by practical know-how to do a radio amateur any
good.

There is a story... And you are looking at the end result of it as you
read this.

The story is a Professor had a bright idea.. How to make analog devices
(Vacuum tubes) work in a DIGITAL fashion (Could this be the first
computer circuit... Yes, it was.. I told you you were looking at the end
result)

Well, he put his A+ Lab assistants on the job and they quickly hit a wall

Then his A, A-, B+, B, B-

Well to make a long story short he got down to a "C" student.. Now this
student knew the book forward, backward, and sideways, but he also knew
what worked (A fiction note follows) and thus he tended to answer test
questions with what worked, rather than what the book wanted.

You see. He was a Ham Radio Operator and he had tested the theory.

He also had a working digital gate within six months.

The fiction note

In the world of Star Trek there is a book, If I don't mangle the title
too much It is Kobashi Maru (The "No win" test at the academy) And I
believe it's written by the lovely and talented Julia Ecklar (Yes, I
know her)

If you can snag a copy read Scotty's chapter where he talks about his
time in command school.. Normally engineers do not go to command school
but... Scotty .... Is different.