Old April 22nd 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dick Grady AC7EL Dick Grady AC7EL is offline

Default moving the front mic jack around

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 02:41:46 EDT, (David
Griffith) wrote:

As I approach the point when I'm ready to get an HF rig, I thought I'd
get some answers now. One thing that bugs me is to have cables sticking
out very near knobs and buttons. I see on most, if not all, HF rigs the
microphone jack is like that. I would like to tap the microphone jack
lines and run them to a new jack installed on the rear. Is this sort of
thing advisable?

Check the specs on the various radios. Some rigs have back panel jacks
for mike and key as standard equipment. My Icom IC-746 has key jack.
My Icom IC-706MKIIG has a mike and a key jack. Both were purchased new
in the 1999-2001 time frame.

As to modifying a rig to add mike and/or key jacks to the back panel,
that all depends on how much eletronics experience you have. You might
run into stability and/or noise problems running the wires past HF, IF
or digital circuits in the rig. At the very least, you'd void your
warranty.

Dick AC7EL