Old June 5th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Swords Into Plowshares

In article ,
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

"K6LHA" Len Anderson wrote...
Almost ALL developments in electronics began as industry projects, even
the IC. There is some controversy in the industry whether Intel or TI
made the "first IC." Intel's first IC was for an Asian customer to use
in a four-function calculator.

Intel's first commercial IC products were static (volatile) RAM chips (like
the
3101) which replaced the magnetic cores used even in solid-state computers
of the era (1960s). It wasn't until 1971 that Intel marketed the first
monolithic
microprocessor product, the 4004. Originally designed, as Mr. Anderson said,
for the (now defunct) Japanese customer Busicom for a desk calculator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busicom

Richard-

I have no documentation to cite. I once read that the first commercial
product that used a microprocessor, was the HP-35 Calculator.

According to http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp35.htm, the HP-35 was produced
from 1972 to 1975.

Fred
K4DII