Old June 9th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael J. Coslo Michael J. Coslo is offline

Default What makes a real ham

On Jun 9, 8:14 am, "Andy" wrote:
A real ham is someone who follows the rules is nice to other operators.
and doesn't brake any homeowner complex rules
and a real ham is also a ham sandwich

Since I have been a Ham, and apparently long before, so many Amateur
radio licensees have been seriously concerned with "What makes a real
Ham?" In my other avocations, I don't hear people discussing who is
real or not. We don't have real versus unreal amateur astronomers, or
real Hockey players versus the non real version. And while I have my
own thoughts on the matter, which are more in line with what I
consider good traits, like manners, discretion, high activity level
and technical acumen, I don't worry a whole lot when one or another
feature goes missing, though I have been known to take action on some
who have problems in the first two areas.

All of this is to ask, Why are so many amateurs so concerned about
this?

- 73 de Mike N3LI -