Old June 14th 10, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default What makes a real ham

On 6/12/2010 8:25 PM, Michael J. Coslo wrote:
On Jun 12, 12:24 pm, wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:47 am, John wrote
:

On 6/9/2010 9:13 AM, Michael J. Coslo wrote:

Well.. Today you may not need Morse Code. But you do
need Rocket Science, at least to pass Extra.

As of 23 February 2007 NO ONE in the USA had to take any code test for
any amateur radio class. There is no "may" about it. Industry Canad

has an option for their equivalent but there one can be at the top
level whether or not they exercise their option.

Amateur radio as "rocket science?!?" Nonsense. The amateur extra
test is only 50 questions, nothing complicated about it, not one
question about rockets or space travel. Having worked for a pioneer
rocket firm (Rocketdyne, Canoga Park, CA, makers of the Apollo F-1
engines and the Space Shuttle Main Engines), "rocket science" it is
NOT.

No, Amateur Radio is not rocket science. Most of us refer to that as
something that is difficult, rather than literal. I've always thought
that rocket science in itself is not terribly complicated anyhow.
Mainly technical applications and challenges of directing a lot of
energy. Orbital mechanics, now that's a little more interesting and
involved. 8^)

Anyhow, I've always thought that many of us who have been in
electronics for many years some times tend to think that "it's easy".
Actually once you get beyond Technician level, which is designed to
not be that difficult, it is a bit of a problem for some. Not for you
or me, but a person who becomes interested in radio, but not
experienced at all in the electronics art, very well might have
problems with the Extra license.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

I am aware that Rocket Science, like hte word May, has multiple meanings

In this case I meant orbital mechanics, Apogee, Perogee, Period and that
kind of thing, All of which are indeed on the Extra class exam pool.