Old June 28th 10, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Heil[_2_] Dave Heil[_2_] is offline

Default Are the bands completely dead?

Bill Horne wrote:
On 6/27/2010 6:37 PM, wrote:
I operated Field Day from opening until around midnight EDST Saturday.
Did not operate at all Sunday due to family obligations.

Now, a few minutes before the end of FD, I tuned around 80, 40, 20,
15, and 10 -- NOTHING. One CW station on the low end of 40 and
possibly a couple of South Americans on 20 SSB.

Are the bands that dead?

Same thing in E.MA. We ran 4A, all barefoot, but still you'd think we
were using spark transmitters for all the contacts we got. I've never
heard things so dead.

The only stations doing well were running class "F".

I piddled with a 1E operation from here in West Virginia. I made 420
QSOs at the 100 watt level including a goodly number (100 or so) on 10m
CW and SSB. A ZL station responded to one of my 15m CQs. I didn't find
it too tough to work the West Coast on 80m CW on Saturday night.

I say things are looking up.

Dave K8MN