Old June 29th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default Part 97.1 Was Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1713 - June11 2010

On 6/28/2010 1:45 PM, Michael J. Coslo wrote:

I might point out that technical advancement does not have to be
furtherance of some basic science or physics. Indeed, I think Gordon
has missed the boat a little here. He's looking at it from a RF
centric view. The person that applied phase shift keying with a
computer sound card with programming on a computer is also performing
advancement of the art. This sort of thing is largely overlooked
because many amateurs are thinking that unless it is the discovery of
say one particular GHz frequency that otherwise behaves like 160
meters, it isn't worthwhile. It's a fairly mature science, and our
advancements are incremental. But we've done a lot more advancement
than Gordon gives us credit for.

I recall some years ago, Reading a news article on how doctors at a
local teaching hospital had developed a system (not unlike the one Dr.
Hawking uses) to allow a patient who could not speak or type to use a
puff-sip switch to convert puffs and sips into text which a computer
could then translate to speach.

They spend well over 100,000 dollars doing it

At that time, a Commodore VIC-20 was under 100 bucks, and could be