Old August 16th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default yet another proposal for non-amateur use of 70cm

Alan wrote:
European manufacturers of collision avoidance hardware for sailplanes are
proposing to use 433 MHz for the signals from their aircraft mounted transmitters.

These would use a propriatary (secret) signal protocol to transmit position,
altitude, velocity, and other tracking information to other aircraft with their
equipment on board.

While it is a sense of "radiolocation", it is not radar in the sense of current
radiolocation activities on the band.

Note that the transmitters and receivers will be located in aircraft (not just
sailplanes), and will cover a wide area. As collision avoidance equipment they
would likely be considered safety of life, and not get along well with shared
frequencies.

I have not heard of this in the amateur community, and I doubt that the ARRL
knows about it, though they have been objecting to ground based robots operating
on those frequencies.

It sounds like a camel nose in the tent.

It sounds like reinventing the wheel to me.

There are already systems being implemented on aviation frequencies to do
this.

See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...ance-broadcast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic...oidance_system

Also cheap (for aircraft) portable systems:

http://www.zaon.aero/

Any such system must get blessed by both the frequency regulators (FCC in the
US) and the aviation regulators (FAA in the US) and I wouldn't give this
thing a snowball's chance in Hell of getting approval in the US or any
other country of any significance.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.