Old August 24th 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
ai8o ai8o is offline

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1723 - August 20 2010

MAJOR SNIP

FUTURECOMM: BROADBAND ADOPTION FALLING IN USA

Adoption of broadband by citizens of the United States has slowed
dramatically this year, and a majority believes that making high-speed
Internet access affordable should not be a major government
priority. This, according to a study by the Pew Research Center's
Internet & American Life Project.

The research found that two-thirds of Americans currently use broadband a

home, a number that's statistically the same as a similar Pew study
conducted the same time in 2009. The research firm last year found 63%

of
Americans were broadband adopters.

The study also found that the majority of Americans did not believe
high-speed Internet access to everyone in the United States should be a t

op
priority for the federal government. Fully 53% of Americans said
affordable broadband access should not be attempted by government or was
simply not too important of a priority. More is on-line at
tinyurl.com/24dqcmb (Information Week OnLine)

I think there are several reasons for this:

1) all the early adopters and middle adopters are already on-line.

2) The people left are ones who aren't interested in the world around
them.
They don't read newspapers, magazines, or use other information
sources.
The internet is just another media source that doesn't interest
them.

3)Broadband internet access is just too expensive.
Broadband Cable internet access requires you to buy Cable TV,
before you can get cable broadband access.
In many cases this doubles Internet access costs.
For example, I have to buy Cable TV at $58.95/month and cable
broadband costs $49.00 more, plus if i don't get
POTS ($18.00) "bundled" with
cable service; the Cable TV the Cable access would be $64.95 plus
$54.95 for Internet.

4) In many residential areas DSL in not available.
Residential areas are too far from the phone company connect
point.

5) In many areas "broadband" just isn't.
My ISP says I have a 5Mb connection. There are so many other users on
the same cable line that my effective speed is 384Kb.
Why pay for service that you aren't getting?

Dan
AI8O