Old September 19th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default Why all the Fuss over a little SWR?

On 9/19/2010 8:28 AM, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
Thanks for the replies, guys it was a real education.

I have an indoor dipole cut for 20M that is 4:1 SWR at it's most resonant
part of the band. If I drop one leg to the ground, the swr drops to near
1:1, but the rf is everywhere, including the lcd display of the rig.

I run it with the high swr and a tuner, but the indoor location and hilly
country are not kind. Even so, I do get a weak signal onto the band.

Are the dangers to the coax cable independent of how well you match the
antenna/feedline to the rig?

It has been a while since I did voltage calcualtions but a lot depends
on your cable.. You use coax designed for 2000 or 5000 watts, and feed a
4:1 antenna with a 100 watt transmitter.. NO PROBLEM coax wise.

You use coax with a 250 watt power rating.. You gonna have problems with
a 4:1 on a 100 watt transmitter. Just what the cut off is.. I don't
know.

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.