Old October 8th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default Can a repeater be partially keyed on?

On 10/7/2010 12:45 PM, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

Can anyone explain the above phenomonon?

Dick AC7EL

I can not explain that one, though the next person's suggestion makes
sense at first glance (I've not looked at it 2nd glance) I do agree the
signal strength (As indicated on an S-Meter) of the repeater should NOT
be dependent on the strength of the received signal.

I have a slightly different story (And it's resolution)

People told me that when I transmitted the repeater moved off frequency
a few hertz. (I forget how much) Plus I could not access DTMF controlled
features.

Finally I hooked a 'scope to the modulator line in the radio and saw a
very interesting trace.. The top half was nearly square while the bottom
half was sinusoidal (As it should be) Turns out the radio had a couple
of clipping diodes in the audio,, One was open.

Adjusted mic gain till the trace was all sinusoidal. then adjusted
modulation gain till the traqce was the original P-P size, hit the
4-digit command to force a repeater ID on the DTMF pad. and Got the
CWID back from the repeater.. several times, Worked fine after that.

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.