Old October 8th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default Can a repeater be partially keyed on?

On Oct 7, 11:45 am, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:
But even stranger, whenever Andy
transmitted, the repeater's output power, as indicated on my S meter,
was significantly lower than when anyone else was on.
I was mobile at 45 mph; Snip
Finally, he went to full power output, and his signal
through the repeater was noise-free AND the repeater's output was at
full power.

Given you where going 45 mph mobile, I'd not be suprised if your S-
meter observations where not skewed or perhaps the locations where you
could safely observe the S-meter where places where the repeater's
coverage is a bit lower than normal. Without actually seeing a direct
indication of the repeater's output power (like a power meter in the
coax between the transmitter and the duplexer), I'd consider the S-
meter evidence as hearsay and not get too worried about it.

-= Bob =-