Old January 18th 11, 07:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names is offline

Default Where did the Progress Line radios go?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:37:44 EST, Bill Horne
wrote:

I was just wondering: whatever happened to GE's "Progress Line" and
Motorola's competing commercial sets from the 70's? They were
crystal-controlled, transistorized or hybrid units that put out
something like 70 watts.

Of course, they've been retired from commercial service, but _where_ are
they? Unless they were all crushed for the gold content, they must be
sitting in warehouses, so why don't hams make use of them and set them
up on 52.525 (or whatever) or the other FM bands?

Just curious: I'd like to have the chance to use one.

Bill, W1AC
(Filter QRM for direct replies)

They were quite popular in the early days of 2-meter FM. However,
with the advent of smal synthesized rigs that became smaller and more
capable every couple of years, the old dinosaurs lost their appeal.

I haven't been to a hamfest for 3-4 years but as I recall the last
hamfest I went to I saw several old ProgLines and Motorola
xtal-controlled handhelds piled up for sale with no takers.