Old January 24th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info
ARRL Members Only Web site ARRL Members Only Web site is offline

Default Legislative Update (was LB719 Hearing (was Flashing Light Bill Amendment Introduced (Nebraska)))

This is an update on the legislative initiatives I undertook.
First, the Amber Light bill was introduced by Sen. Price, KC5AYS. It
is LB573. I posted the bill on my website. You can download it from:

http://www.ctwsoft.com/arrlne/LB573.pdf

As I wrote earlier, it would allow Storm Spotters to use Flashing Amber
lights if they are within 500 feet of their designated spotting point
and if they are carrying an appropriate ID issued by NEMA or their
county emergency management. The Bill also charges NEMA with coming up
with standards for ID badges and certification. By having a standard
format, ID badges will be recognizable by law enforcement anywhere in
the state. The 500 foot restriction and the availability of a standard
ID answers the questions that prevented similar legislation from being
voted into law last year.

I will let you know when hearings are scheduled.

Second, the malicious interference bill was not introduced due to a
snafu. It ends up that this was probably good. The ARRL has worked
hard to make sure that there is only Federal regulation of amateur
radio. Even though the bill proposed was very restrictive in that the
law could only be invoked during an emergency declared by a government
official, the feeling was that it might cause unintended consequences
in terms of regulation.

The basic problem of protecting communications during emergency
conditions remains. I spoke with Dan Henderson, N1ND, ARRL Regulatory
Information Manager, and Cliff Ahrens, KØCA, Midwest Division
Director. They believe that we can find a solution through the Federal
government. I will be working with Cliff, ARRL HQ, and appropriate
Federal agencies to identify the specific means to obtain
near-real-time support in case malicious interference occurs during an
emergency.

I know that this topic is important to many of you and that you might
be disappointed. The positive feedback and words of encouragement are
very much appreciated. I did receive an email from Bill Jackson, K9RZ,
registering the same concern that the ARRL had. Thanks to all who took
time to comment.

Malicious interference during an emergency can endanger life and
property. My commitment is to resolve this issue.

73, Art KØAIZ

ARRL Nebraska Section
Section Manager: Arthur I Zygielbaum, K0AIZ