Old July 22nd 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Cut length on antenna made from coax cable

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:35:09 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

I usually cut long, and slowly snip the exposed wire until SWR
improves. Choking the line would stabilize this.

Another solution I've tried is to put a choke on the line that I can
slide along its length (and later tape down). I then put a connecter
at the far (antenna) end of this line. I then put a bare/insulated
wire on a female connecter and mate the two. This preserves the line
from stripping and peeling back.

I cannot vouch how effective this is as a "Sleeve Dipole" in all the
standard characteristics. The Choke Z would have to be very, very
high to electrically snip the lower end to the right length to tune
it. Another choke a quarter wave away would be necessary. All
doable, certainly, but ad-hoc.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC