Old April 17th 04, 03:17 PM
Paul_Morphy

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message
. ..
This must be the lingering effects of all those Lew McCoy articles I

read. I
see a TV, I want to gut it and build ham gear.

As I kid I would explore the neighborhood on my bicycle on the days
the trash went out looking for junk TV sets. I had a set of tools
in my pockets to pull out the chassis and would lug them home to
gut. A friend of mine who lived in a house instead of an apartment
would save the chassis whole in the basement (which bugged the
gas man who had to climb over a mountain of tv chassis to read
the gas meter!).

Ahaha! I did the same thing. I had a basement full of CRTs. Finally came the
day to discard them, just lined 'em out on the street on garbage day. I
didn't bother to break the seals. I was looking out my bedroom window as the
trash collector tossed the first one around the back edge of the truck. It
blew up! Nice cloud of white phosphor. He treated the rest of them like
nitroglycerin. My Elmer told me how to break the seals so that wouldn't
happen again.

I still get a fair share of parts from salvaged gear.
http://tinyurl.com/34np2 It just doesn't feel like homebrew otherwise. None
of the pictured items remains intact.

Doing a run on QRZ.com, I am wondering if you were at this free flea? I live
up in Stuart but I made it to this one. Passed on Hollywood today to finish
a project, but I'm going to be in Gainesville next weekend.

73,

"PM"