Old July 25th 11, 06:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Antenna Magic

Gary wrote in news:fa364fa2-5eba-476e-a6af-
:

I told him to short the 40M loading coils, and add enough Home Depot
wire to each end so that the auto tuner was happy. He had a 100'
extension cord that he cut up and got the auto tuner happy 1.5 swr.

The modern explanation to modern hams is that an antenna tuner is there
to keep the rig "happy". Modern folk are very busy people, they just
don't have time for understanding, but personification of these
inanimate things is apparently appealing.

Your anecodote demonstrates though how inadequate that explanation is,
whether happy rig or happy ATU.

I understand your feeling that your pride has taken a bit of a dent.
Well, part of the territory when predicting antennas eh!

Next thing, someone will market a happiness meter, an SWR meter rebadged
and rescaled with a percentage happiness factor. Ultimately, the slow to
respond rig manufacturers could incorporate a happiness meter under the
covers, perhaps a range of LCD emoticons for those who don't want to
think about percentage happiness. You could turn on a proper multimedia
interaction, big groan for SWR5 etc, big cheer for 1.2... bit like
those terrible computer golf games "can't be too happy about that
one!!!".

Owen