Old July 27th 11, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
No Name

Default 1448 TTL to rs232 driver problem

30 year old piece of equipment operating pretty much flawlessly for
that entire period. VCC and VEE on the 1448 is +/- 15 volts and the
chip is overheating..... even with inputs and outputs disconnected the
chip still overheats(130 F). I noticed that the manufacturer's sets
the MAX power supply voltages at +/- 15 and understand this was
probably designed on the hairy edge of failure but like I said its
been working for 30 years and replacement chips work no better, what
gives. Power supply can not be adjusted and there are other chips on
the board that require the +- 15. d BTW cooling the chip makes it
work. operating the chip from an external +- 12V power supply makes it
work but modifying the circuit may not be an option. I saw where there
are some CMOS versions of the 1488, I was wondering if they would
handle the +- 15 volts better.

TIA
Jimmie

I would hang a small PC fan in there, and call it a modification