Old August 1st 11, 06:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal[_3_] Sal[_3_] is offline

Default Using speaker wire for a dipole

"KD2AIP" wrote in message
Anyone have experience making a dipole from 18 gauge speaker wire? I
have a whole lot of it lying around the house, and was wondering if I
could put it to some good use.

My favored gauges are 12 and 14. I took a dipole I modeled in EZNEC
(Evaluation Version) and changed from 12 gauge to 18 gauge. The behavior of
the antenna changed dramatically.

No, I'm kidding. EZNEC showed insignificant shifts in VSWR and gain at
optimum takeoff angle. You apparently face only mechanical issues. If the
wire parts when you pull it up, you'll need to connect it to a stout span
line.

I have two 20m dipoles hanging, one with a span line and one free-hanging.
They were both temporary ... last year.

"Sal"
Champion Procrastinator