Old August 2nd 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default J-pole question

"NM5K" wrote in message
On 7/31/2011 9:49 PM, Padraigh ProAmerica wrote:
Recently acquired a 50W 2 meter rig, and I'm wondering if using aJ-pole
made of 300-ohm twin lead as an emegency antenna would be feasable..or
would the rig be tuned for maximum smoke?

They say it can be done... Not my choice though. I prefer simple 1/4 wave
ground planes as simple emergency or temporary antennas.
IE: a 1/4 wave ground plane can be made with five pieces of wire
and an SO-239 connector. Or a telescoping whip that can extend that
far, and four pieces of stiff wire for radials, which would be bent
out at about 45 degrees.
I think the 1/4 wave ground plane will be a better decoupled antenna
vs the usual J-pole, assuming no other decoupling methods are applied.
Another advantage is no matching schemes are required.

You have a point Mark. I agree that a simple 1/4 wave groundplane is more
study and very easy to make using an so-239 and some piano wire. Steel wire
can be soldered right into the back, four bolts with nuts and four more
peaces of wire around 19" long with a bit of a downward bend and you have a
very good antenna.

Kevin, WB5RUE