Old August 2nd 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal[_3_] Sal[_3_] is offline

Default Using speaker wire for a dipole

wrote in message ...
On 1 Aug,
This replaces one which failed a couple of years ago constructed with
thin insulated 5A lighting flex not much more than bell wire that had been
up
nearly 30 years.

This got me thinking. (Dangerous, yes, but I occasionally risk it.)

Since a normal dipole has current max near the center, is there more
localized heating (I-squared-R) nearer the feed point? Seems like it ought
to be. Can you overheat a small wire and make it fail there by melting?????

No, I don't want to try it. I'm hoping somebody knows. Exciting story even
better.

"Sal"