Old August 3rd 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Using speaker wire for a dipole

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:24:10 -0700, "Sal" wrote:

This got me thinking. (Dangerous, yes, but I occasionally risk it.)

It is supposed to be a license requirment.

Since a normal dipole has current max near the center, is there more
localized heating (I-squared-R) nearer the feed point? Seems like it ought
to be. Can you overheat a small wire and make it fail there by melting?????

Yup. The amount of current that would do that is called the "Fuse
Current" which can be dramatically large. Example, wirewrap wire's
fuse current is slightly more than 10 Amps.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC