Old August 3rd 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo[_2_] Mike Coslo[_2_] is offline

Default Using speaker wire for a dipole

On 8/2/2011 7:33 PM, Tom Horne wrote:

No but it does make it more dangerous to persons and things on which it
might fall if it breaks.

Come on, Guys!

While it's a great idea to follow every official code and
reccomendation, and that no one in their "right mind" would ever
consider anything less than the lowest gauge copperweld wire for their
antenna, the original question is answerable by "Yes, you can make a
serviceable antenna out of speaker wire."

Will it stay up as long as a Copperweld antenna held in place by1/4 inch
thick 100 percent nylon rope?

No it won't.

But it will work. Surprisingly well, in fact.

Let the new guys learn, and throw up antennas that work. As they have to
put up a new one every so often, they will eventually learn about more
long lasting antennas, as well as ones that might have a better pattern,
and other effects that bear on performance.

But the idea that hams are responsible for restrictive covenents (in
reality, Cable television is more responsible for antenna covenants than
anything else) or that the choice of speaker wire is going to
electrocute the neighbors is doing a disservice to the new guys and gals.

I can say this with some conviction because I was one of those noobs
once, and nearly didn't even get on HF because with all the input, I
gave up on putting up an antenna because nothing was good enough. I
didn't have enough space, I didn't have enough height. There just wasn't
any use in getting on the low bands. I needed a separate antenna for
every band because ladder line was awful and traps were bad and every
other option was awful except for some idealized correct antenna, coax
fed, at the proper height.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -