Old August 3rd 11, 11:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
david david is offline

Default Using speaker wire for a dipole

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 23:11:33 -0400, Mike Coslo rearranged some electrons
to say:

But it will work. Surprisingly well, in fact.

My present HF antenna is a piece of 4-conductor ribbon cable, with 60
feet of each outside conductor pulled off to make a 120 foot dipole, the
rest of the cable being used as a feedline to a balun and thence to a
tuner. Is it ideal? No. But it's good enough to work 45 states so far
on 75m, a few dozen DX contacts on 20 and 40m, etc. Plus, it's nearly
invisible against the side of the house.

During field day, I used a homemade doublet fed with 450 ohm ladder line
to the same tuner, remotely mounted in a waterproof box, I was able to
work 15m and 80m on the same antenna, made a few hundred contacts.
Eventually (when the leaves fall) I plan to replace the ribbon cable
dipole with the doublet and the remote tuner on some tall trees in the
backyard.