Old August 8th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal[_3_] Sal[_3_] is offline

Default Another 2M antenna question

"Padraigh ProAmerica" wrote in message
I was offered (for free) a VHF TV yagi anntena w/ rotor. Question: would
this work a 2M antenna? With a tuner, maybe?

--
"The French have neither summer nor winter nor morals." -- Mark Twain

Yes, it will work. I just tried it with my HT. From southeast of San
Diego, I raised a repeater on Mt. Santiago, Orange County, with a 75-ohm
directional VHF TV antenna and a half-watt signal. Santiago is 70 miles
away. Disclaimer: My location, on a small hill with a generally clear view
toward the North, gives me an advantage.

Then, I put the analyzer on that antenna and I was surprised to find the 2m
VSWR was 3.1:1, worst case. Losses through about 50' of cable from here to
the antenna no doubt helped my VSWR number.

There is some risk of using it with a high-power rig if the rig isn't
internally protected against operating into an excessive VSWR. Most are.

Start at a modest power and see what happens. That's what a lot of hamming
involves ... try it and see. Smoke is possible but not common.

"Sal"