Old August 13th 11, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Robert Seely Robert Seely is offline

Default Oddball Raytheon Subminiature Tubes QF-721

On Aug 12, 11:57*pm, Robert Seely wrote:
On Aug 12, 7:25*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Robert Seely wrote:

I have a bunch of Raytheon Subminiature tubes that I inherited from
my
Father, who was an electronics bugg (I followed a different path)
that
have code QF-721. *In searching the internet I have found a bunch of
identical looking tubes such as one labeled CK6088. I have done lots
of searches on the internet and I cannot find out anything about
these
and am wondering if you know about these, or if you can point me to a
website that might shed some light on these.

That's a Raytheon experimental number. *I have a Raytheon document
dated 1953 which lists a bunch of the QF numbers but not that one.
These were never intended to be sold to the general public and so were
not listed in the handbooks.

These are apt to be a variant of some relatively standard submini tube
but without the original documentation or without a sample tube to put
on the curve tracer I am not sure how we'd know precisely what it is
a variant of.

Almost certainly your father bought a bunch of these from a surplus
dealer. *In the fifties and sixties there was a lot of wacky stuff
coming loose from manufacturers like this.

I am considering the possibility of donating these to someone but if
cannot find out what they are for, I cannot imagine how I can find
who
to donate them to -- perhaps a school or something.

If you send me one I'll put it on the curve tracer and tell you more
or less what it is. *Submini tubes in general are not worth very much
because the Raytheon plant was still making them well into the late 1980s
and they're still coming out of the surplus pipeline even today. *But
they are still very, very cool and a lot of fun for small radio and
audio projects.
--scott

email me your address and I'll send you one. - Hide quoted text -

r s s 9 2 0 8 4 at g m a i l dot com