Old April 19th 04, 05:22 PM
Tim Wescott

PaoloC wrote:

[Slightly off-topic request]

Hi.
As of the other post of mine, another part of my weekend was spent
trying to get a XOR gate to oscillate with a XTAL.

I have a working 74HC14 oscillator:
"One gate of a 74HC14. 470ohm resistor from gate output to the parallel
of 1Mohm//XTAL. 10pF and 33pF (from the junkbox) capacitors to ground on
each side of the XTAL."

Since my project calls for a frequency doubler, which I want to
implement with a XOR gate, I wanted to use one XOR gate of a 74HC86 as
oscillator. Remaining gates would work as buffer, delay line, digital
mixer.

(I have Googled newsgroups and found an interesting discussion about XOR
frequency doublers, so I am aware of its limitations.)

So I moved the oscillator circuitry (R; C; R, XTAL; C) from the 74HC14
to the 74HC86, pulling the other input of the XOR gate to "1", so that I
would produce an inverter.

Nothing happens. I used a 10.0 MHz XTAL.

I understand that the 74HC14 has Schmitt trigger inputs and that a
74HC86 might have higher propagation delays. Still, is it possible to
use a XOR gate as an inverter and oscillator? Do I overlook something?

In the end I recovered the 74HC14 oscillator, but this adds one
component to the final circuit I have in mind that wastes energy, space
and is underutilized.

Looking forward to your always helpful replies!
Paolo IK1ZYW

Frankly I'm surprised that you're getting it to work at all with the
74HC14. I'd recommend that you use a 74HCU04 (an _unbuffered_
inverter), or a transistor oscillator with an output tuned to get the
signal strong enough to tickle a CMOS gate.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services